Monday, October 25, 2010

Rebecca Skloot's presentation.

In response to my first post concerning people being paid for medical research, there were a few factors i didn't take into account when coming to my conclusion. Previously I came to the conclusion that people who demand payment for medical findings using their own body is ridiculous and research for the betterment of mankind should not be treated like that. After hearing Rebecca Skloot's presentation i realized that I forgot to factor Henrietta's poverty into the situation, which some would consider one of the main focuses of the book. The Lack's family was very poor when Henrietta was alive and never got much better after her death. Even though her cells were being sold for millions. When i heard this i can't say my original conclusion changed completely. I still don't believe that people should demand money for work that was not their's but I am sympathetic to those who could really use the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment